Whether you’re a pro athlete or just trying to lose weight, lean protein should be an essential part of your diet. Everything in our body is composed of protein— bones, blood, muscles and skin. It’s is one of the essential building blocks our bodies need to function optimally—and the leaner the better. Read on to learn why it’s one of the ultimate diet hacks.
1. Muscle building. Increasing consumption of lean protein helps you build lean muscle mass, and repair and rebuild after a tough workout.
2. Weight loss. When you increase your lean muscle mass, this boosts your metabolism and the number of calories you burn on a daily basis. In addition, lean protein makes your body work harder to digest it and therefore helps you stay full longer. Protein’s hunger-satiating power helps you reduce the number of calories consumed on a daily basis.
3. Cellular repair. No, we’re not talking about your cellphone—eating protein-rich foods ensures that your body obtains the essential amino acids necessary to form new cells and repair existing ones.
4. Heart health. A protein-rich diet has been shown to lower blood pressure, improve cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
5. Healthy bones. Long-term research shows that eating more protein helps us maintain bone mass as we age, reducing the risk of fractures and osteoporosis.
6. Better quality sleep. Studies show that those who follow a diet rich in lean protein sleep better and wake up less throughout the night when compared to individuals who consume a high carb diet. This may be because protein creates a better chemical transmitter balance so we have more energy during the day and feel more restful at night.
Load up on lean protein and you’ll see a difference quickly. Click here to discover more of our awesome diet hacks.